Monday, March 16, 2009

Hope


I attended a very provocative and moving event tonight at The Brecht Forum on the 6th anniversary of Rachel Corrie's death. There was a reading of Caryl Churchill's new controversial play, "Seven Jewish Children". It was the first public reading in NYC and I hope that it continues to be seen and spark dialogue about the ongoing violence in Israel. What moved me most from the whole evening, though, was to hear two representatives from Combatants for Peace speak about their experiences. They had such a hopeful message, a commitment to work to spread peace and tolerance and to dispel hatred and fear. This organization needs to be championed and I was just so happy to learn of its existence that I wanted to share. These days it's pretty easy to overwhelmed with frustration and sadness over all that is wrong with our world, but it's important to remember there is always light amidst the struggle and I think Combatants for Peace truly exemplifies that.

No comments: