Monday, September 15, 2008

Brooklyn, OH

So I experienced Brooklyn, OH today while I was out registering voters and let me just say, it was an eye opening experience. I spent most of the morning in Parma at Cuyahoga Community College where I registered a whole bunch of young voters (my total today was 30- yay!) and before heading back to our home base, we decided to hit some of the strip malls in Old Brooklyn. Not so much success there. I stopped to chat with two girls sitting outside the pizza place where they worked- they seemed to be in their late teens, early twenties, and I asked them if they were registered to vote.

One said yes and the other said no, and when I asked why, she replied, no, I don't want to vote, both of them are stupid. When pressed further she said, she didn't want to vote Republican, and she didn't like Obama because he had barely been in office and didn't have any experience and his religion supports killing people. Wait, what religion, I asked. Muslim, they both responded. Um, Obama is Christian, I corrected (not to mention that Islam does not advocate killing people). No, they both said, he just converted when he got into public office.

So, yeah....that was frightening to say the least. Definitely something I've yet to encounter in Brooklyn, NY...

Rehearsals for Goldstar Ohio are going well. There is something deeply moving about working on this show, speaking the words of actual people who have experienced such grief and pain. It's a very emotional experience and between that and registering voters I'm feeling pretty exhausted, but in a good way.

In unrelated news, Philip Seymour Hoffman's company in NY- LAByrinth is creating an alliance with Cate Blanchett's company in Sydney and Trafalgar Studios in London to do cross cultural exchanges and performances- um how much do I want to be in the middle of that sandwich? That is one of my dreams- to be involved in a theatrical collaboration abroad not necessarily with Phil and Cate, but that would be nice.

And finally, my blogging audience (which at this point is pretty much zero because I haven't told anyone about this blog yet which makes it easier to write) I leave you with this question: if money was not a concern, how would you spend your days?


Dream Big.

4 comments:

Jobepo said...

Well Sarah, let me first thank you for the privilege of being the first person to comment on your blog. I agree that many American’s lack of understanding of the candidates scares me. So, good work, getting out there and not only registering voters, but educating them. I think your play is so timely and will also aid in the education of America. I’m very proud of you. As for your question regarding work when money is not an issue: I’m a firm believer that money should not be the issue when deciding what to do for a career. That way, I am doing exactly what I would do regardless of my money situation. But, I would certainly travel a lot more.

Sarah said...

Joe- I am totally honored that you commented on my blog. I actually experienced a little rush when I saw (1 comment) so thanks for making my day. I'm totally with you on the traveling more. Where would you go? At the top of my list are Argentina, India, Romania, Turkey, and the Pacific Northwest.

Anonymous said...

Oh Sarah. I dream about that all the time. What if money was no object? I would spend my days traveling to different parts of the world with a group of theatre artists. I'd include designers/technicians/actors and a director. We would spend 6 months to a year in each place and create a new work based on our collaborations with local artists and residents. There's the dream I'd love to live.

Sarah said...

Um, count me in! Let's get some funders!