Sunday, September 21, 2008

How to Bring Home the (Soy) Bacon




This has pretty much been the recurring question of my summer. As I continue my artistic pursuits, how am I going to make enough money to live in New York? I have a little hiatus from thinking about that while I’m out here in Cleveland doing this play, but I know that as soon as I return, I’ll be right back in that quandry.

I’m sure I’m not the only one that does this, but when I’m feeling particularly masochistic I like to go on Craigslist and browse apartments in other random cities marveling over where I could live in Cleveland OH or Burlington VT.

I start to imagine fantasy scenarios- starting up a vegan bakery/bookstore/performance space in Burlington, moving to India to study yoga…But, the truth is, I love Brooklyn and there is no place I would rather live at this time in my life, as tough as it is.

So, jobs. I’m really curious about the kinds of day jobs that artists have- I’d love to assemble some sort of database or something because there exists such a wide range of possibilities. As for myself, I’ve done the waitressing/catering thing and I’ve tried my hand at the office temping thing and I know those are pretty much off the list. I’ve really loved the teaching artist and tutoring jobs I’ve had but those present the challenge of: what do you do when you have to leave town? I don’t like the idea of letting kids down. Sometimes I feel like I’m being incredibly picky in that there are so many jobs I just don’t want to do. On the one hand, I’m getting to pursue my dream, I should be content to work wherever I can in order to make money, but on the other hand, the reality is that we spend the majority of our days at work, and if I’m going to be devoting that much time to something, I have to like it, which pretty much brings me back to square 1. What is this ideal job that I don’t hate but that’s flexible enough that I can leave? I’m just not sure.

Any thoughts? Any artists who have found their perfect day job? I’d love to hear your stories.

No comments: