Monday, November 17, 2008

A Conversation with the Audience




Charlie Kaufman... This guy is awesome. Definitely check out the above interview with Charlie Rose- it was filmed right after "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" (one of my all time fav movies ever) came out and it was supposedly the first interview he'd done. I just recently saw his directorial debut, "Synecdoche New York" which I highly recommend and I just can't stop thinking about this guy- I find him such a fascinating and inspiring artist.

One of my favorite parts of this interview is when he's talking about the kinds of movies he's interested in making and he talks about theatre as a live medium vs. film as a dead medium and that he's drawn to creating films that will provoke a conversation with the audience. You can't leave one of his films not wanting to talk about it, and to me, that is the point.

Why should we make new works of art, music, film, theatre if we don't have something to say to the audience or at least to elicit? What I love most about him is that he totally challenges your notion of what film can be--he just explores the medium to its max and that is exciting to me. I leave his films wanting to be more creative and original and bold and inventive.

So go see Synecdoche New York and let me know what you think of it.

No comments: