Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Taking Over


So I know I just finished raving about Charlie Kaufman and "Synecdoche New York," but I just saw another rave worthy performance so I just have to put it out there. If you have the opportunity to be in New York between now and Dec 14, you have to see Danny Hoch's new solo show "Taking Over" at The Public Theatre. (and if you can't make it to NYC at least check him out on youtube) His current show is about gentrification in Brooklyn and he plays a whole bunch of characters-- including a Dominican taxi dispatcher, an African American woman sitting on her stoop, a French Real Estate Broker, a Midwestern Hippie girl selling her wares---all totally dead on. I was just in absolute awe of this guy as a performer, and a bit jealous, as I often am when I see people just absolutely rock so hard in whatever they do, but mostly I was inspired.

It feels so refreshing to see good performances, especially good theatre, which I'm often so critical of because it's my medium of choice. And as an aspiring solo performer, I left the show feeling so charged up with possibility. There are so many stories to be told and part of the thrill of a solo performance is watching that one person embody such an array of people--it goes back to the basic core of storytelling, and when it's done well, it's absolutely mesmerizing.

I often feel reserved about my own solo work--like I don't have a strong enough point of view--there's not some big social or political issue that I'm commenting on, but seeing "Taking Over" was a reminder of the basic writer's axiom- write what you know. Danny Hoch is a third generation New Yorker, grew up in Queens and has lived in Williamsburg since 1990--he writes characters that are a part of his life. I don't need to go interview Israelis and Palestinians in order to create an effective piece- I can just write from my perspective and my heart. I know that's getting a little cheesy, but I think sometimes it's good to remind myself artistically and personally that it's all in there, that
"you are already whatever you seek to be." -Kelly McGonigal

No comments: