Friday, November 7, 2008

My Love/Hate Relationships with Social Networking Sites


So after lots of pressuring from friends and family, I finally joined Facebook today, and I felt a little excited, a little overwhelmed, and a little turned off, which was pretty much my exact experience with Friendster back in the day. I like the idea of being able to easily communicate and check in with a wide network of friends, but invariably, after a little while spent surfing around, looking at peoples' profiles, pictures, etc, I just want to get off the computer.

I guess part of it is that I really prize actual interaction- seeing people in person, talking on the phone, and I make great efforts to keep that up with the people in my life who are important to me. I don't know. I have lots of nostalgia for old timey things and as much as I love the benefits of the internet and cell phones, sometimes I long for the simplicity of life before these things when you could just go out for a walk and take in the people and surroundings and not be reachable and not be surrounded by people plugged into things. But I also want to embrace technology and I think it's really cool that people are using Facebook to reconnect with their friends from elementary school and studying abroad and stuff. So, in closing, I want to be open to the Facebook experience and I would love to hear from people about what they like about it, but for me, the jury is still out.

No comments: